Nov 28, 2023
TH 36 - Suffering: How to Accompany Others with Dignity
“Suffering, which has many levels and dimensions, can often be the most challenging aspect of the life of a disciple of Christ,” according to Christian author Aurelie A. Hagstrom. Then, why does God allow for suffering? What are some contemporary issues that cause suffering? How might faith communities encounter and accompany those in the midst of suffering? This Continuing Education Unit explores these questions and provides participants with practical, pastoral strategies to enhance ministerial outreach.
6 Lessons - Pass/Fail
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
1. Discuss the redemptive nature of suffering.
2. Analyze the connection of suffering to character development.
3. Discuss what the Catholic community can do to respond to domestic violence.
4. Define post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) and moral injuries.
5. Compare faith-based programs to Veteran Support Organizations (VSOs).
6. Understand the process of forgiveness and healing in the restoration of human dignity.
7. Analyze the two “feet” of justice: social justice and charitable works.
8. State the four dimensions of missionary discipleship.
9. Compose a written and accompanying audio reflection exploring a specific topic of suffering.
10. Participate in discussion forums related to lesson materials.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)