Aug 11, 2022
LTC 462 - Practicum in Health Service Administration
This course requires the student to develop a program for familiarization with long-term care and other health care organizations; to spend time with, or otherwise become knowledgeable about, the functional areas or departments of the organization and to complete several assignments relating to that experience. The experience will encompass organizations across the long-term care spectrum. Content areas covered include: Resident/Patient Care and Quality of Life, Human Resources, Finance, Physical Environment & Atmosphere and Leadership and Management. The length of the internship period will be 520 hours.
Prerequisites & Notes
All required core courses. Must be taken either with or following LTC 450. Requires Program Manager or Program Director approval.
An internship with monthly reports and an applied research paper
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to demonstrate leadership skills in the following:
- To provide a planned, progressively comprehensive, supervised training program, combining academic learning with practical experience.
- To introduce the intern to a dimension of health care management that will expand his or her knowledge base.
- To require the intern to apply management principles learned in class to real-life situations and problems.
- To provide an opportunity for interaction between the intern and health care professionals, and to instill in the intern an appreciation of professional attitudes and values.
- To reinforce, in the intern, a sense of responsibility toward the profession of health care management, colleagues, resident/patients or clients, and the community.
- To allow the intern an opportunity to assume administrative responsibility.
- To develop the intern’s communication skills through written reports (including the Project Paper), and through interactions such as meetings and presentations.
- To engage the intern in a participatory learning experience that will benefit the organization providing the field experience.
- To develop a confident, professional administrator, possessing the necessary skills and expertise.
- To assist the intern in preparation for any required licensure exams.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)