Feb 23, 2024
NU 644 - Curriculum Design in Nursing & Healthcare Education
The master’s prepared nurse will creatively design curriculum in nursing and healthcare education using scholarly evidence-informed, content-relevant, unified curriculum. This process ranges from refining current classroom assignments or activities to creating new original re-conceptualized curriculum. Design of curriculum and demonstration of knowledge pertaining to curriculum development and program evaluation analysis is explored. The process of collaborating with communities and clinical partners to support educational goals and design program assessment plans promoting continuous quality improvement is introduced. Application of theory to provide a framework for curricular revision or development is assessed. Emphasis is placed on the notion curriculum development does not occur in ordered, sequential stages, or phases. The process is iterative, occurs concurrently, with each new decision affecting previous ones. In this course and for the purpose of learning, each curriculum activity is presented separately for ease of description and comprehension.
Prerequisites & Notes
All MSN core courses; NU 642
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Lead quality improvement initiatives that affect the delivery of nursing and healthcare education (AACN III).
- Employ interdisciplinary collaborative strategies in the design, coordination, and evaluation of curriculum in academic nursing, allied health education, and community or agency-based healthcare education (AACN VII).
- Perform rigorous critique of evidence derived from databases to generate meaningful evidence for nursing practice (AACN IV)
- Apply learning, and teaching principles to the design, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs for individuals or groups in a variety of settings (AACN IX).
- Integrate appropriate change theories and strategies into curricular revision processes
- Structure into curriculum design knowledge of curriculum development and design processes
- Justify curriculum design, implementation, and evaluation decisions based on sound educational principles, theory, and best practices.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)