Oct 03, 2023
LTC 350 - Aging, Spirituality and Senior Health Care
Grounded in a Judeo-Christian foundation, this course provides a medical humanities perspective on aging. We will explore writings and research on aging, spirituality, and senior health care, written from diverse disciplines and faith backgrounds - theologians, medical ethicists, pastoral counselors, parish nurses, chaplains, geriatric social workers, psychologists, gerontologists, as well as health and long-term care professionals. Based upon a life-span developmental model, we will apply an exploration of the aging process that is both integrative and inter-disciplinary when working with older adults in a variety of settings.
Prerequisites & Notes
Term-based with 12 weekly lessons and a final
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe key demographic characteristics of Older Adults which may impact the field of Senior Healthcare.
- Identify ways in which one’s spirituality (or, faith beliefs) may influence health behaviors and health outcomes.
- Recognize the biological, sociological, psychological, and spiritual dimensions of aging.
- Identify important cultural competencies needed to serve elder health consumers of diverse racial-ethnic backgrounds.
- Understand the spiritual challenges and opportunities of aging.
- Respectfully integrate interfaith and cross-cultural views of seniors and caregivers.
- Assess the impact of changes in the family life cycle and structure upon informal and formal care giving.
- Describe key elements of a Spiritual History and a Spiritual Care Program for Older Adults.
- Understand ethical issues that surround end-of-life care.
- Apply the principles of the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services to senior care.
- Identify ways in which senior healthcare systems may also serve as spiritual care communities.
- Write a research paper on a selected topic with relevance to aging, spirituality, and senior healthcare.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)