Feb 05, 2023
HIM 250 - ICD Coding
This course will discuss the historical perspective of ICD-10-CM as well as the ICD-10-CM coding conventions and highlights from the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting. This course will utilize the draft ICD-10-CM manual to illustrate important highlights of chapter specific coding under ICD-10. The course also discusses the ICD-10-PCS guidelines so students can apply any applicable rules for procedure code assignment, including correct code assignment for multiple procedures, approach procedures and inspection procedures. The student will also learn to categorize procedures by root operation and master the use of ICD-10-PCS tables.
Prerequisites & Notes
HIM 200, HIM 210, HIM 211, and HIM 212 or their equivalents.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the benefits of transitioning to ICD-10
- Explain key features of ICD-10-CM coding conventions
- Accurately apply ICD-10-CM codes from Chapters 1 through Chapter 21
- Recognize key features of each of the ICD-10-PCS sections
- Identify the historical perspective and benefits of ICD-10-PCS
- Explain key features of ICD-10-PCS Coding Guidelines
- Master the ICD-10-PCS root operations
Credits: 3 Offered: Beginning fall 2015
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)