ED 518 - Standards-Based Grading & Assessment
This course provides an overview of Standards-Based grading and assessment practices with the goal of aiding teachers in building a performance-based system where students navigate their own learning to develop, set goals, and make progress towards identified standards. This course will also help teachers develop a balanced standards-driven assessment system to aid in the management of their student-centered learning system.
Prerequisites & Notes
None required - but helpful if this course follows ED 516 and ED 517
This course is offered online as part of the MSEd curriculum with monthly start dates.
It will also be offered during the 2017 summer session with an on campus component.
Course Learning Objectives
Using Standard-Based Grading:
- Improve student achievement by focusing instruction and the alignment of curriculum to identified standards
- Teachers will create a clear picture of what the student has learned and will be able to effectively communicate this to students, parents, teachers and administrators on what each student knows and is able to do according to established identified standards
- Teachers will provide a learning scale or rubric that describes exactly what the student should know or be able to do. The rubrics identify criterion for proficiency and are used consistently throughout the unit and semester.
- Understand proficiency scales
- Create and use grading and assessment methods to collect evidence of achievement that support student learning
Credits: 3 Offered: Online: Summer 2017, week 1
Add to Portfolio