May 22, 2018
NU 643 - Assessment and Evaluation in Nursing & Healthcare Education
This course examines the role of formative and summative assessment and evaluation of learning in nursing education, both in the classroom and clinical setting. Best practice evidence and teaching-learning theory is examined and applied to the concept of learner-centered assessment and evaluation. Students will create measurable learning outcomes and formulate assessment and evaluation methods congruent with the designed outcomes. Designed assessment and evaluation methods will be examined for validity and reliability using psychometric methods. Leveling of assessment and evaluation based on the learning needs of the student will be discussed. During this course, students will examine privacy rights of the learner as defined by federal legislation, and apply this to current practice.
Prerequisites & Notes
All MSN core courses; NU 644
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate the ability to use complexity science and systems theory in the assessment and evaluation of health care education (AACN II)
- Perform rigorous critique of evidence derived from databases to generate meaningful evidence for assessment and evaluation in nursing education (AACN IV)
- Use current and emerging technologies in the care environment to support lifelong learning for self and others (AACN V).
- Apply the best available evidence from nursing and other sciences as the foundation for assessment and evaluation of learning (AACN IX).
- Incorporate core scientific and ethical principles in identifying potential and actual ethical issues arising from assessment and evaluation in nursing education. (AACN IX).
- Analyze assessment and evaluation data using statistical methods.
- Apply theories and evidence-based knowledge in leading, as appropriate, the healthcare team to design, coordinate, and evaluate the delivery of care (AACN IX).
- Apply learning, and teaching principles to the assessment and evaluation of health education programs for individuals or groups in a variety of settings AACN IX)
- Design strategies that promote lifelong learning of self and peers and that incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability for practice (AACN IX).
- Integrate an evolving personal philosophy of nursing and healthcare into one’s nursing practice (AACN IX).
[Add to Portfolio]