Apr 20, 2018
HA 660 - Administrative Practicum
Designed primarily for long-term care administrators, but may also be taken by other MHA students who will benefit from a practicum experience. The course requires the student to develop a program for familiarization with long term care or other health care facility; to spend time with, or otherwise become knowledgeable about, the functional areas or departments of the facility and to complete several assignments relating to that experience. Content areas covered include: Resident/Patient Care and Quality of Life, Human Resources, Finance, Physical Environment & Atmosphere and Leadership and Management. The length of the internship period may vary, but follows the same guidelines and includes the same type of assignments.
Prerequisites & Notes
All other coursework, except the capstone course, should be completed or nearly completed before starting this course.
Final Assessment: Successful Completion of Practicum and Final Project Paper
Course Learning Objectives
The objectives of this practicum are the following:
- To provide a planned, progressively comprehensive, supervised training program, combining academic learning with practical experience.
- To introduce the student to a dimension of health care management that will expand his or her knowledge base.
- To require the student to apply management principles learned in class to real-life situations and problems.
- To provide an opportunity for interaction between the student and health care professionals, and to instill in the student an appreciation of professional attitudes and values.
- To reinforce in the student a sense of responsibility toward the profession of health care management, colleagues, resident/patients or clients, and the community.
- To allow the student an opportunity to assume administrative responsibility.
- To develop the student’s communication skills through written reports (including the Project Paper), and through interactions such as meetings and presentations.
- To engage the student in a participatory learning experience that will benefit the organization providing the field experience.
- To develop a confident, professional administrator, possessing the necessary skills and expertise.
- To assist the student in preparation for any required licensure exams.
Credits: 3 or 6
[Add to Portfolio]