Dec 13, 2017
HA 512 - Quality Management and Performance Improvement
This course focuses on health care quality and performance improvement in the United States and the means by which progress is accomplished in health care organizations. Because society expects that progress will result in continuous improvement of health care products and services, course materials will assist in promoting the understanding of the issues surrounding quality and performance improvement in health care. This will be done through an examination of quality assurance, continuous quality improvement and performance improvement in management and performance systems. It will also assist in the review and understanding of mechanical and analytical data available to formulate, develop, and implement quality performance improvement initiatives.
Prerequisites & Notes
HA 500 and HA 511 or HA 520
Assignments: 12 weekly assignments
Interactivity: Weekly live session
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Analyze the elements of an effective quality assurance/performance improvement program to include strategic focus of support, a systems view to improvement, and a whole systems approach toward outcomes.
- Assess the role of U.S. government policy influence on health care quality improvement through laws, regulatory agencies, payers, and the quality improvement organizations (QIO’s).
- Appraise the six major aims of health care quality defined by the Institute of Medicine as the foundational methods for raising quality of care.
- Construct an understanding of the mechanical and analytical tools available to assist in formulating, developing, and implementing quality and performance improvement initiatives.
- Relate the importance of staff and patient satisfaction and identify approaches for eliciting and analyzing internal and external customers’ requirements, expectations, levels of satisfaction, and areas of concern.
- Distinguish the role of high-performing teams to organizational quality improvement efforts.
- Design at least 3 health care quality performance improvement strategies utilizing principles of health care quality improvement as tools for defining, measuring, and affecting performance improvement.
- Construct a health care ethics committee and synthesize the roles, structure and function of the group to unify organizational efforts of improving health care quality.
- Formulate the key elements of a culture of quality improvement that incorporates ethical and professional standards.
[Add to Portfolio]