Aug 08, 2022
In keeping with the values of Saint Joseph’s College, rooted in the teachings of Jesus Christ and the doctrines and heritage of the Catholic Church, the online division is proud to offer a quality, accredited degree in Catholic Theological Studies.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of Catholic doctrines and Sacred Scripture
- Appreciate liturgical and sacramental theology in the life of worship of the Church
- Apply Catholic moral theology and social doctrines of the Church
- Deepen and strengthen personal faith
- Acquire skills for independent inquiry and life-long learning
The Bachelor of Arts in Theological Studies consists of 120 credit hours, including 42 credits of General Education Requirements, 24 credits of Theological Studies major core requirements, 15 credits of Theological Studies electives, and 39 credits of general electives.
There is a Fast-Track Option for those considering continuing on for the Master of Arts degree.
General Education Requirements
The college’s general education curriculum is a set of courses that reflect the college’s vision of what it means to be an educated person. It is the heart of our baccalaureate education, and provides the grounding for the student’s major course of study. The core curriculum supports key parts of the college’s mission: to encourage students to explore widely the arts and sciences while they also prepare to lead ethical and meaningful lives and to enhance students’ awareness of human dignity and the meaning of life. Moreover, the general education curriculum supports several of SJC’s Institutional Learning Outcomes. Specifically:
- Identify and apply the ethical and moral dimensions of their particular field of study;
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in both written and oral formats;
- Engage in responsible citizenship, social justice, and environmental stewardship;
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze and evaluate information from diverse sources and perspectives.
The requirements consist of four learning themes: Foundations for College Level Thinking, The Human Condition and Human Story, Nature & Society, and Art, Creativity, and Self-Knowledge. The online general education requirements are aligned with the on-campus core. Note: Some academic programs have minor variations in general education requirements. Please talk to your Advisor or Admissions Counselor for more information.
General Education Requirements (42 credits)
Foundations for College Level Thinking (3 courses)
The Human Condition and the Human Story (6 courses)
Nature and Society (3 courses)
Art, Creativity, and Self-Knowledge (2 courses)
BA Theological Studies Core
Eight core courses are required (24 credits):
BA Theological Studies Electives
Five theology elective courses are required (15 credits):