Jan 28, 2023
ED 592 - Practicum in Curriculum Design Specific to the Nature & Needs of Gifted and Talented Learners
This course will be offered to meet requirements of The State of Maine Department of Education’s certification for teachers of students who are gifted and talented St Joseph’s College currently offers ED 591- Standards and Practice for Teaching Gifted and Talented Children and in ED 592 students will explore and extend understanding of how to meet the academic and social emotional needs of students who are gifted and talented. These needs form the basis for an appropriate curriculum response. Students will adapt curriculum, modify learning experiences, and create instructional materials that target an appropriate level of challenge for these GT learners. Students will also explore assessment practices and management techniques. Through a variety of curriculum design formats, instructional strategies, and practical applications, students will demonstrate their ability to modify/adapt/create curriculum to meet the needs of learners who are gifted and talented. (6 credits)
Prerequisites & Notes
None, However ED 591 is suggested.
- Assignment Overview: Ten Week Term-Based / Weekly Assignments
- Interactivity: Discussion Board and Technology Related Activities
- Final Assessment: Final Paper / Project
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completing this course, students should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the needs of gifted and talented learners by applying instructional strategies in the classroom and analyzing the degree of effect on the learner.
- Utilize a planner to provide an overview of a differentiated unit that includes using a formulaic system to create three levels of questioning.
- Create a video that demonstrates students who are gifted and talented in action, engaged in a lesson designed to promote depth and complexity.
- Adapt existing curriculum to create acceleration and/or enrichment lessons, modify assessment descriptors and describe management techniques.
- Analyze, evaluate and reflect upon different ways to modify required curriculum to meet the needs of students who are gifted and talented through interactive, collaborative discussions and readings.
Credits: 6 credits
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)