Aug 18, 2022
HA 410 - Quality in Healthcare Administration
This course is designed to provide the student with an overview of the critical elements of an effective approach to quality in a health care organization. The student will be able to define the importance of measurement, variation and the use of tools in approach to continuous quality improvement. The student will be able to synthesize information related to the use of teams, the importance of the voice of the customer, and the approach to change. In addition, there will also be an opportunity to compare and contrast the approach to continuous quality improvement in light of the external – ever shifting – regulatory and political environment.
Prerequisites & Notes
HA 205 or LTC 210
Term-based with 12 weekly lessons and a final
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the elements of an effective continuous quality improvement program to include strategic focus of support, a systems view to improvement, and a whole systems approach toward outcomes.
- Illustrate the importance of using data and measurement to assess current status, analyze and improve processes, and track progress to affect outcomes. Identify the tools and methods used to collect and provide data and information to include quality methodologies (PDSA), means of display (flowcharts, run charts, cause-and-effect diagrams), and the use of benchmarking in creation of improvements.
- Explain the importance of high-performing teams to achieve quality improvement outcomes. Describe the elements necessary for effective teams, the benefits of using teams in a learning organization, and the outcomes impact when teams are empowered.
- Interpret the involvement and effect of external facilitators of improvement to include regulatory agencies, payers, QIO).
- Characterize the elements necessary for an organization to have to demonstrate continuous evolvement of its quality program in response to data, results, and intervention.
Offered: September, December, March, June
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)