NP 615 - Primary Care Practicum: Children and Women of Childbearing Years
This course serves as a companion course to NP614: Primary Care Theory: Children and Women of Childbearing Years, and consists of two components, a clinical practicum (200-240 hours with an approved preceptor) and an online seminar. In this course the student will apply course content from NP 614 to the care of women and children in the context of family, including refining skills in the performance of a comprehensive health status assessment, development of differential diagnoses, planning, health promotion and care management of patients with stable chronic and minor acute health issues.
Prerequisites & Notes
NP 612, NP 613
Note: Previous course name was NP 609 Family Nurse Practitioner I Clinical for 2011-2012.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
1. Successfully complete the required clinical practicum hours as evidenced by completion of clinical logs in the Typhon tracking system and verification by site preceptor.
2. Meet or exceed the clinical objectives related to the Nurse Practitioner (NP) practice competencies which are defined by the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) as evidenced by successful completion of the clinical evaluation tool at midterm and at the completion of the course.
3. Document and analyze the synthesis of patient assessment, differential diagnoses and evidence-based plans of care as evidenced by successful completion of written annotated SOAP notes and participation in unfolding case discussions and peer review of case presentations.
4. Exhibit intermediate skills in the organized and thoughtful presentation of two clinical cases to peers and faculty using oral and visual presentation methods as demonstrated in case presentations.
5. Participate in ongoing authentic collaborative practice of inquiry of self and others as evidenced by substantive participation in cohorted or asynchronous case discussions.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)