Nov 28, 2023
HA 454 - Strategic Planning in Healthcare Organizations
Presents the student with an overview of strategic planning and management. The course discusses the applicability of strategic planning and management concepts to a variety of organizational situations, with particular emphasis on the health care field. Students learn the steps in the planning process and how to apply that process to actual situations through the use of case studies.
Prerequisites & Notes
HA 205 or LTC 210
Assignments: 5 Units
Interactivity: Discussion Board
Final Assessment: None
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Recognize and explain the value of strategic planning in health care organizations.
- Apply a basic strategic planning process to the case study.
- Identify organizational factors that could impact the strategic planning process and outcomes.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders in the strategic planning process.
- Perform a basic environmental assessment considering both internal and external factors.
- Apply the elements of effective mission and vision statements.
- Construct applicable goals, objectives and implementation plans.
- Describe an ongoing planning process including:
- Regular progress reports
- Annual updates
- When a significant plan redraft is indicated
- Identify challenges for health care organizations over the next one to five years.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)