Leadership for Sustainable Communities is a next-generation degree program that combines immersive hands-on learning, career development, liberal arts principles, and Mercy values to transform learners into skilled 21st Century leaders. Learn to solve real-world problems and prepare for a lifetime of community leadership. The program goes far beyond traditional academic barriers to dig into real-world challenges — preparing students to sustain and improve critical systems in areas of Justice, the Environment, Business & Economics, and Healthcare. Working closely with a range of employers and community partners, graduates will be well-prepared for graduate school, government, nonprofit and for-profit organizations, and poised to make a positive difference in the world. This is a flexible major, making it easy to transfer in or double major.
The Leadership for Sustainable Communities major requires the completion of two semesters of the same foreign language.
Outcomes and Integration:
- Demonstrate leadership competencies that emphasize social justice values
- Describe the value of inter- and multidisciplinary approaches to addressing local, regional, and global issues
- Apply ethical communication in diverse community settings and situations
- Assess the ethical dimensions associated with leadership and sustainable systems
- Identify the environmental, social, and economic challenges that communities face at multiple scales
- Create collaborative approaches to address environmental, social, and economic challenges
- Describe the value of service and action in sustaining resilient and socially-just communities