In keeping with the values of Saint Joseph’s College, rooted in the teachings of Jesus Christ and the doctrines and heritage of the Catholic Church, the online division is proud to offer the Master of Arts in Theology, Advanced Diaconal Studies. This is a special 30 credit degree program providing theological and pastoral education for ordained deacons and those who are in formation in diocesan diaconal programs.
For admittance into this program, an ordained deacon must present a letter from his diocese stating he is in good standing, and a diaconal candidate must present a letter from his diocese stating he is in formation.
The student learning outcomes of the Master of Arts in Theology, Advanced Diaconal Studies are as follows. Upon completion of this program of study leading to graduation, the student will:
- Understand and appreciate the books of the Old Testament and the New Testament, understand the historical and social contexts of the writings, recognized their literary forms according to appropriate methodologies, and place them in their ecclesial context.
- Understand and appreciate Catholic doctrine and theology, including the doctrines of the Trinity, Christology, ecclesiology, Christian anthropology, and eschatology.
- Understand and appreciate liturgical and sacramental theology and the life of worship in the Church.
- Understand and appreciate the history of the Church.
- Understand and appreciate the foundations of moral theology and of the social doctrine of the Church.
- Understand and appreciate the guiding principles for the practice of ministry.
- Understand and appreciate the foundations of Catholic spirituality which includes the history of Christian religious experience and the types and schools of spirituality.
- Be prepared to enter, or to continue, effective ordained ministry to Church and society.