Oct 20, 2020
HA 330 - Healthcare Administration: Management Foundations
This course provides an introduction to the management of health care organizations (HCOs). It starts with a broad view of management and leadership including a comprehensive look at management theories, how they have evolved over time, and how they can be applied to today’s health care administration challenges. The course content examines the skills and abilities that a health care manager will need to be effective. In an increasingly complex world, these skills are many and varied. A health care manager in the twenty-first century must understand the personnel management skills of employee motivation, team work, conflict management, and communication. The manager of today must also manage technical processes including information technology, clinical technology, quality improvement, and regulatory requirements. In addition, the manager is expected to assure that patients have a satisfactory experience along with an excellent clinical outcome.
Prerequisites & Notes
HA 205, LTC 210, or NU 300
Term-based with 12 weekly lessons and a final
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Differentiate between leadership and management as it applies to the various roles of governance and leadership across ever-changing roles of healthcare organizations.
- Analyze the current state of knowledge of leadership style and contemporary leadership theory and principles.
- Interpret change management theories and techniques leaders use to overcome barriers to effectively facilitate change and adjust to the complex healthcare delivery system.
- Explain the concepts of strategy and strategic planning and management and the roles that governance and leadership have in these processes as they relate to quality, value ad the responsibility of the organization to the community it serves.
- Explain how management and organizational theories influence healthcare systems in decision making and problem-solving.
- Apply effective communication, leadership, and management techniques to a variety of case studies.
- Examine the various theories of employee motivation and how they relate to employee motivation.
Offered: February, May, August, and November
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)