Oct 22, 2020
TH 108 - Catholic Spirituality for Catechists
An introduction to Catholic spirituality and the vital role of liturgy within it. The course examines the theological aspects of prayer that are distinctively Catholic and the variety in expression of prayer in the Christian life. It offers guides to a fruitful life of prayer in the Church.
Prerequisites & Notes
Registration is limited to current Certificate in Catholic Catechesis students.
Course Learning Objectives
- Define the terms and state the purpose of spirituality and prayer
- List and describe the five forms of prayer revealed through Sacred Tradition
- List and describe the wellsprings of prayer in Catholic spirituality
- Describe both the Trinitarian and Marian dimensions of Catholic spirituality
- List and describe the guides for prayer in the Church
- Describe the fruits of participation in the sacraments, as well as familiarity with the saints and the use of sacramentals, for a vibrant Catholic spirituality
- Describe and give examples of the three major expressions of prayer: vocal, meditation, and contemplation.
- Explain the reasons why the Lord’s Prayer is at the core of Christian spirituality
Offered: September Term
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)