Feb 26, 2021
HIM 460 - Advanced Practicum
Strengthens the academic experience of health information management (HIM) students by providing the opportunity to apply what they have learned throughout their educational program. The advanced practicum requires students to demonstrate competence in the five primary domains established in the industry. The student spends 120 hours doing this professional practice experience, 60 of which are done at a health care site, with the remaining hours done in virtual lab.
Prerequisites & Notes
All required HIM courses
In conjunction with their instructor and/or site manager, students will cover the AHIMA Domains of Practice areas.The student should, through a combination of observation and participation, become familiar with all aspects of each activity area, including its purpose, the services it provides, and any problem areas. The site manager will identify on the Professional Practice Experience (PPE) Checklist the areas the student has completed. The student will provide at least monthly progress reports to the instructor and the final grade will be based on successful completion of the PPE Checklist.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- Demonstrate competence in health data management,
- Exhibit understanding of health statistics, research and quality management,
- Utilize privacy, confidentiality and legal principles of HIM in a health care organization,
- Apply policies and procedures related to HIM, and
- Maintain patient information and respond to requests for information, as well as assuring data integrity.
- Develop management skills.
- Understand informatics.
- Synthesize AHIMA competencies
- Prepare student for the RHIA credential exam.
Offered: Online and at a professional practice site
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)