Jan 27, 2021
NU 647 - Teaching in Nursing & Healthcare Education Practicum
Students in this course will examine, apply, and evaluate best practice evidence from the literature while participating in the role of nurse educator in either academic or clinical settings. Students work with an experienced nurse educator to complete a teaching project which both promotes best practices and integrates teaching/learning theory into the project. The course instructor, preceptor, and student collaborate in the design of the project which is completed during the 135 hour practicum.
Prerequisites & Notes
All MSN core courses; NU 643
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this practicum, you should be able to do the following:
- Employ knowledge and skills in ethics, adult learning principles, and systems in the design, delivery and
evaluation of nursing education. (MSN Essential I, IX)
- Incorporate core scientific and ethical principles in identifying potential and actual ethical issues arising
from the practice of nursing education (MSN Essential IX).
- Design strategies that promote lifelong learning of self and peers and that incorporate professional
nursing standards and accountability for practice (MSN Essential IX).
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, as indicated, to apply learning and teaching principles to the
design, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs for individuals or groups in a
variety of settings (MSN Essential VII, IX).
- Demonstrate the ability to use complexity science and systems theory in the design, delivery, and
evaluation of health care education (MSN Essentials I, II).
- Use information and communication technologies, resources, and principles of learning to teach nurses
and/or student nurses (MSN Essential V).
- Articulate to the chosen audience the evidence base for practice decisions, including the credibility of
sources of information and the relevance to the practice problem confronted (MSN Essential IV).
- Apply the best available evidence from nursing and other sciences as the foundation for practice (MSN
Essentials I, IX).
- Perform rigorous critique of evidence derived from databases to generate meaningful evidence for
nursing practice (MSN Essential IV)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)