Nov 27, 2020
MG 410 - Strategic Management
This course focuses on the management process involved in strategic planning and cross-functional decision-making. This process involves the creation, formulation, and implementation of strategy and policy; the necessity of and problems resulting from functional integration and human interaction; the planning, organizing, and controlling processes; the evaluation of risks and alternatives; and management philosophies and ideologies.
- Assignments: 5 Units
- Interactivity: Discussion Board
- Final: Final Project
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of strategic management and how it has progressed to an increased capacity to think strategically and effectively employ the elements of the strategic management process to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Describe the nature and role of the vision and mission statements in strategic management and how they are used to integrate analysis and intuition in the work of strategic management.
- Describe how to effectively use strategic management tools such as an external strategic management audit, an internal strategic management review, and benchmarking to assess an organization’s processes and capabilities.
- Describe how to implement a strategy in such a way as to deal effectively with issues of implementation challenges, organizational structure, market analysis, and any estimated change in the valuation of a business.
- Describe a practical framework for evaluating strategies and why this evaluation is complex, sensitive, and yet essential for organizational success.
- Explain why the importance of ethical principles and organizational values in the context of making socially responsible management choices is good business in strategic management.
- Explain how a business can ensure that its code of business ethics is guiding business decisions and not being ignored.
- Prepare a robust strategic analysis covering all of the important aspects of strategic management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to use a strategic analysis to create meaningful recommendations for a business organization.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)