Sep 23, 2019
HA 520 - Catholic Healthcare Leadership
Explores the competencies required of health care executives for organizational leadership in the Catholic tradition. Explains key principles guiding the Catholic culture as it applies to health care organizations.It facilitates connection with the healing ministries of Christ and the church, and explains the underlying rationale for the relationships with sponsors, bishops and pastors of the Catholic faith community represented by Catholic health care organizations. It also focuses on interrelationships of effective executive and organizational competencies, and how the two must interface within an often turbulent health care environment.
- Assignments: 4 Units
- Interactivity: Discussion Board
- Final Assessment: Final Paper
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Assess the history and importance of how theology has shaped Catholic health care.
- Identify the significant events that have influenced the mission of Catholic health care organizations.
- Articulate the social teachings of the Catholic Church and how they are used for decision-making, management strategy, and reflection of current social issues.
- Express the concept of sponsorship in Catholic health care organizations.
- Explain why Catholic health care is considered a ministry.
- Explain the history and importance of mission and how it guides a Catholic health care organization.
- Explain the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic health care services.
- Apply ethics, ethical decision-making, and the context for addressing ethical issues.
- Describe the concept of community benefits, its history, and how a sponsors tradition shapes the needs, strategies, and commitments.
- Relate the concept and importance of leadership formation in Catholic health care.
- Describe the unique elements and understanding needed by Catholic health care leaders.
- Examine the challenges Catholic health care faces now and in the future.
[Add to Portfolio]