ED 401 - Measurements and Evaluation
The course is designed to develop student understanding of measurement and evaluation culminating to a final project where application of the new knowledge will result in critically evaluating a personally or professionally relevant assessment tool. Within each unit, students will be expected to read assigned chapters and complete activities that will support their work on the final project. Participation in the discussion board will require learners to apply concepts to their experiences and share their opinions. Through readings and constructed written responses, students will reflect on the historical perspectives in educational testing, acquire knowledge in understanding the purposes of various test types, and determine whether a test is a valid and reliable instrument. Students will also participate in hands-on activities that focus on test construction and fundamental descriptive statistics. The final unit will include necessary research on a self-selected assessment tool with the resulting outcome being a review and appraisal of that tool.
Prerequisites & Notes
PY 101; EH 106 or equivalent is required; EH 107 or equivalent is recommended.
Assignments: Varied Throughout the Term
Interactivity: Discussion Forums
Final Assessment: Final Project
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe the impacts early theorists had on the history of assessment development.
- Explain the major categories of tests through recognizing their practical uses.
- Apply descriptive statistics for analyzing, interpreting, and reporting assessment data.
- Define the different types of reliability and validity, and describe how they are used to evaluate aspects of a test or testing procedure.
- Analyze moral and ethical issues in testing as it applies to test takers and professional settings.
- Demonstrate an understanding for the purposes of applying tests in a specific professional setting (i.e., education, health care, business, etc.).
- Reflect on and discuss experiences with personal and professional uses of measurement and evaluation to demonstrate meaningful application of the course content.
- Apply cumulative knowledge gained throughout the course to critically evaluate an assessment tool.
Add to Portfolio