Mar 24, 2019
NU 647 - Teaching in Nursing & Healthcare Education Practicum
Students in this course will examine, apply, and evaluate best practice evidence from the literature while participating in the role of nurse educator in either academic or clinical settings. Students work with an experienced nurse educator to complete a teaching project which both promotes best practices and integrates teaching/learning theory into the project. The course instructor, preceptor, and student collaborate in the design of the project which is completed during the 135 hour practicum.
Prerequisites & Notes
All MSN core courses; NU 643
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this practicum, you should be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate the ability to use complexity science and systems theory in the design, delivery, and evaluation of health care education (AACN II).
- Articulate to the chosen audience the evidence base for practice decisions, including the credibility of sources of information and the relevance to the practice problem confronted (AACN IV).
- Perform rigorous critique of evidence derived from databases to generate meaningful evidence for nursing practice (AACN IV)
- Use information and communication technologies, resources, and principles of learning to teach nurses and/or student nurses (AACN V).
- Apply the best available evidence from nursing and other sciences as the foundation for practice (AACN IX).
- Incorporate core scientific and ethical principles in identifying potential and actual ethical issues arising from the practice of nursing education (AACN IX).
- Apply learning and teaching principles to the design, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs for individuals or groups in a variety of settings AACN IX).
- Design strategies that promote lifelong learning of self and peers and that incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability for practice (AACN IX).
- Integrate an evolving personal philosophy of nursing and healthcare into one’s nursing practice (AACN IX).
[Add to Portfolio]