Dec 13, 2017
ED 516 - The Standards Driven Classroom
This course will aid teachers in building a performance-based system where students navigate their own learning and develop and set goals as they measure progress towards identified standards. This is a system that allows students a clear pathway, voice, and choice and increases their engagement and passion for learning. This course will help teachers work with identified standards and develop learning targets that are clear and will measure progress in their student’s learning. This performance-based system promotes student engagement as well as an opportunity for students to lead their own learning. This course will also help teachers develop a balanced instructional model as well as a balanced assessment system to aid in the management of the student-centered learning system.
Prerequisites & Notes
This course is offered online as part of the MSEd curriculum with monthly start dates.
It will also be offered during the 2016 summer session with an on campus component.
- Assignment: 4 Units
- Interactivity: Discussion Forum Participation
- Final Assessment: Final Paper & Final Project
Course Learning Objectives
- Recognize the basic components of a performance /proficiency-based system as they relate to the roles of teacher, student, parent, and community.
- Evaluate the roles of students, parents, and teachers in bringing about changes in the roles and structures necessary to meet the challenges and prepare students for twenty-first century learning and living.
- Apply the tools necessary to build procedural transparency in a learner-centered classroom.
- Evaluate these tools and their impact on students as they become active participants in their learning.
- Identify content learning targets based on the State Common Core of Learning, 21st Century Skills, and the Key Cognitive Strategies. These standards will be used to guide and inform instructional goals and student progress as well as measure the depth and application of thinking and learning.
- Develop a sample unit of instruction that incorporates the ideas, tools, and procedures outlined in this course.
- Develop a plan of action to transform a learning community from traditional to performance based through systemic changes, learner-centered culture, transparency, and the development of procedures to aid students in navigating their own learning.
Credits: 3 Offered: Online: Summer 2016, Week 1: Semester 201703
[Add to Portfolio]