MK 201 - Introduction to Marketing
This course is designed to introduce you to the concepts and techniques of global marketing, as it impacts you as a consumer and as it impacts businesses.
MK 201 emphasizes basic decision-making tools and analytic processes used by the marketing manager. Topics include product policy and new product development; distribution channels and systems; personal and mass selling techniques; pricing; promotion; and marketing program implementation. Emphasis will be placed on the formulation of a comprehensive marketing plan for a product or service that the adult learner selects and will bring to market.
During the course, you will practice some analytical and creative skills to build a Marketing Plan for a small business or nonprofit venture of your own, or a product or service offering of your employer. More work will have to be done, particularly in financial projections, before you can ”go to the bank” with a plan, but the course will give you a model on which you may get started.
Assignments: 5 Units
Final Assessment: Final Project
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Provide an introduction and exposure to, and an understanding of, the marketing concept.
- Develop an ability to analyze and assess an organization and its products and services.
- Develop awareness and a practical knowledge of the marketing mix, especially as evidenced within your own company or organization, and as utilized by your company’s/organization’s senior management.
- Gain a working familiarity with the terminology, objectives, and issues that concern and impact marketing in the twenty-first century.
- Demonstrate decision-making abilities as you bring a product and/or service to market via a marketing plan.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking relative to marketing decisions.
- Describe essential principles of consumer behavior in relation to marketing.
- Perform a competitive analysis.
- Assess your own company’s ability to effectively market itself.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)