Jan 25, 2021
MA 107 - Contemporary Mathematics
Investigates mathematical techniques that have been devised to study and solve contemporary real world problems. These problems come from the areas of management, information, natural and social sciences. Mathematical models are constructed to study situations just as a designed constructs physical models for study. The goal of the course is to look for the “best” solution to a problem, and not necessarily the “perfect” solution, and to teach strategies that will allow the student to become a better problem solver.
Assignments: 4 Units
Final Assessment: Open-Book Final Exam
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Be equipped with new strategies for solving problems.
- Look for ways to quantify many of your decisions.
- Understand the power of mathematical models.
- Understand the limitations of mathematical models.
- Analyze, present, and interpret data.
- Be critical of presented data and its analysis.
- Be more comfortable with mathematical terms and approaches.
- Have more confidence in your mathematical ability.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)