HY 102 - Western Civilization II
Studies the development of Western state and economic systems in Europe and in related colonial regions. Emphasis is on the intellectual, political, and economic development of Western Civilization throughout the modern period. Particular emphasis is placed on the wars, revolutions, and upheavals of the last three centuries.
Assignments: 5 Units
Interactivity: Discussion Board
Final Assessment: Final Project
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Show an understanding of the basic chronology of the development of Western Civilization in the Modern Age.
- Show a mastery of basic historical-research and-writing skills (i.e., working with primary sources, developing an historical essay, examining contrasting points of view).
- Articulate the major intellectual, social, and political trends that have made western culture unique.
- Articulate how these uniquely western ideas spread to different areas of the world and the impact that these ideas have had on the development of the modern world.
- Decipher historical trends and see how these trends have led to contemporary situations.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)